Monday, October 05, 2009

Berbatov: I disappointed myself

Dimitar Berbatov has admitted his debut season at Old Trafford was a disappointing one.

The Bulgarian frontman arrived from Tottenham for £30.75million with a big reputation after netting over 40 goals in two seasons at White Hart Lane, but the 28-year-old failed to deliver consistently for the Premier League champions.

He managed just nine league goals last term from 29 starts and came in for heavy criticism from United pundits and fans alike.

But Berbatov is eager to make up for lost time and is happier with the form he has showed this season.

"In my first year I was disappointed in myself. I need to say that," berbatov told The Daily Mirror.

"It was a big pressure for me and maybe I failed myself. I think I wanted to prove myself to these supporters.

"You must remember, they are used to [George] Best, [Bobby] Charlton, [Eric] Cantona. I am just Dimitar.

"I am more pleased with my overall game in this second season already.

"I feel that I have integrated myself better into the team. I am much stronger, much fitter. But I still wish I could score more."

Berbatov, who has netted two goals from six starts this season, showed some impressive touches in midweek against Wolfsburg and has helped increase the Man Uniteds odds of winning.

Michael Owen’s injury allowed Berbatov to replace him after just 20 minutes and the Bulgarian looked lively as United came from behind to sink the German champions 2-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Comment Policy. Do NOT post spammy unrelated comments for the purpose of link building - as they WILL be removed...Comments containing foul and vile abuse will be deleted.