Tuesday, May 26, 2009

King Eric keen to succeed Fergie

The smart money might be on Jose Mourinho to eventually step into Sir Alex Ferguson’s shoes at Old Trafford, but Eric Cantona has thrown his hat into the ring. The United legend who rammed in 82 goals in 185 appearances between 1992 and 1997 has revealed his desire to take up the United hot-seat.

"I will guide probably the strongest team in the world," said Cantona."I don't know how many years will go by before that happens but on the Manchester United bench my name is already written down. I'm not saying (Sir Alex) Ferguson will leave. I hope he will have eternal life with the Reds, I truly hope so. But for me the only alternative (to that of Manchester United) is guiding the England national team.

I like (England coach) Fabio Capello as a man and as a motivator. He transmits positive values. He is tough, precise and puts a lot of emphasis on attention to details. It's what was needed. But I can assure you that sooner or later you will see me guiding England because I have made history at Manchester United and I am number one."

The 43-year-old is currently coach of the French beach soccer side, but he seems keen to step up through the grades and put his legendary status as a player on the line. After collecting four league titles and two FA Cups in his time in the North-West, Cantona believes he is destined to return in the top job, but great players don’t always make good managers.

Just look at Bryan Robson. Captain Marvel was inspirational for United, and like Cantona, a cult hero, but his managerial career has been rather less successful. Indifferent spells at Middlesbrough, Bradford and West Brom have now seen Robson pack in the management game and take up the role of United's ambassador.

Robson's failings certainly might be something for Cantona to consider before he gets his feet under Fergie’s desk as it would almost certainly sour the memories of Cantona if he flopped in the hot-seat at Old Trafford.

1 comment:

  1. If Eric was manager our club would play football that would thrill fans the length and breadth of the UK and the world. Eric Cantona has never failed at anything in his life, so I am sure he would be unwilling to (a) let himself down and (b) let Manchester United down. I have been a long time supporter of the idea of having King eric at the helm and would be very happy to see this happen. I have 100% trust in Cantona's respect for United. He wouldn't take the job if he thought he could fail !!

    ReplyDelete

Our Comment Policy. Do NOT post spammy unrelated comments for the purpose of link building - as they WILL be removed...Comments containing foul and vile abuse will be deleted.