Thursday, June 14, 2007

Royston Drenthe - a name to remember as Nani is left in the shadows..

So then, last night I tuned into Sky Sports One to get my first taste of what Reds fans can expect this coming season from Portuguese winger Nani who was playing against Holland for his country in the under-21s Euro Championships.

What I saw didn't really impress me that much I have to say, Nani was shall we say was rather theatrical when he was tackled, often going down as if he'd been shot with an Elephant gun.

We have been led to believe this lad has a fabulous left foot and can take wicked free-kicks, but when Portugal were awarded a free-kick on the left in a dangerous area, Nani didn't take it... I have to confess at this point that I did not see the whole game and one report in the Daily Telegraph claims he was impressive enough on the night.

The player that really took my eye though was another brilliant young player, Holland's left sided attacking winger Royston Drenthe, now this lad really does look like the real deal and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if one of our rivals signs him this summmer. Chelsea or Liverpool would be my best bet.

I have seen various clips of Nani scoring goals on the net and doing his 'death leap', let us hope that the £17m turns out to be money well spent.

The final score was Holland 2-1 Portugal and Nani did not get on the score sheet.


He may have a silly name but the boy can play...

The Telegraph seem to be quite positive - though the comments below suggest my verdict is much more accurate...

Royston in action - he's the one that looks and plays like Edgar Davids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Comment Policy. Do NOT post spammy unrelated comments for the purpose of link building - as they WILL be removed...Comments containing foul and vile abuse will be deleted.